Ohio Drivers Ed

What do I bring to the BMV for my license?

You’ll need to be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian and pay a licensing fee (cash or check) depending on your age:

  • Age 16: $24.25
  • Age 17: $23.00
  • Age 18: $21.75

Here’s what else you need to bring with you:

  • Parent/Legal Guardian’s Ohio Residency –  PO BOX or other mail box address is not acceptable
    • Examples: Utility Bill, Paycheck Stub, Mortgage Statement, Valid Concealed Weapons Permit, Ohio Resident Hunting or Fishing License, Automobile Liability Policy, Major Credit Card Statement or Major Retail Store Credit Card Statement, Life Insurance
  • Your Permit
    • Make sure you’ve held this for at least six months and you’re at least 16 years old.
  • Completed Driver Education Certificate
    • We’ll send you an Aceable Certificate of Completion when you finish the whole course. Present it to your professional driving school and they’ll give you a Completed Driver Education Certificate, which is what you need to get a license.  Don’t skip this step, or you could be turned away at the Driver Exam Station!
  • 50 Hour Affidavit
    • Your parent or legal guardian needs to fill this out and get it notarized. It’s proof that you’ve completed 50 hours of behind-the-wheel practice (10 of which must be at night).
  • Vehicle in good condition for testing
    • Your vehicle will be inspected before you can take your driving test.

You’ll also need to present one Primary and one Secondary document, or two primary documents, and a document proving your citizenship or legal presence (may already be covered by the Primary Document). Only original or certified copies are accepted.

  • Primary Document – Proof of Full Legal Name and Date of Birth
    • Examples: Birth Certificate, Valid Passport or Passport Card, State-Issued ID Card, State-Issued Learner’s Permit, US Citizenship and Immigration Service Documents
  • Secondary Document – Must include SSN (if assigned) if not on the Primary Document
    • Examples: Social Security Card, Health Insurance Card, Internal Revenue Service or State Tax Form, Employer Identification Card, W-2 Wage and Tax Statement, School Record or Transcript, Student ID, Medical Records from a Doctor or Hospital, Gun Permit, Foreign Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Citizenship or Legal Presence (may already be covered by the Primary Document)
    • Examples: Birth Certificate, Valid US Passport or Passport Card, Naturalization Document, US Citizenship and Immigration Service Documents

To see a more detailed list of accepted documents (in English, Spanish, and Somali), click here.


Couldn’t Find the Answer You Were Searching For?

Did this answer your question?

HOLIDAY SUPPORT CLOSURE - Live support will be closed on November 26th-27th to allow our employees to spend time with their families. We will be back to our normal support hours starting November 28th. Certificate processing and shipping will also be closed during this time, and will resume on Monday, November 30th. We will have limited email and text support during the closure. Our Roadside Assistance Subscription team will have no phone support on November 25th due to training, however will be standing by to respond to emails and text.