Want to get your South Carolina driver license? Aceable’s South Carolina Permit Test Prep can help you ace the permit exam. This drivers ed course will teach you the rules of the road whenever and wherever you want. You’ll get 20 levels of interactive lessons and unlimited practice tests designed to prepare you for the South Carolina written knowledge exam.
Important: This is NOT a state-approved driver education course. South Carolina license applicants under the age of 18 must take an approved drivers ed course. Aceable’s South Carolina Permit Test Prep is a mobile study aid. It’s the perfect course for busy adults and a great study tool for teens.
HOW TO GET YOUR SOUTH CAROLINA DRIVER LICENSE (AGES 15-17)
- Enroll in a state-approved driver education course.
- Get your paperwork together. Bring your parent or guardian (to sign the application) and documents proving your identity, U.S. citizenship, Social Security number, auto insurance coverage, and South Carolina residency. Find examples of acceptable documents here.
- Apply for a Beginner Permit. You will take a vision test and written knowledge test at your local DMV office. The state fee is $4.50.
- Carry your Beginner Permit for 180 days while you get at least 40 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with your parent or other licensed adult. Make sure 10 of your practice hours are at night. Finish up your approved drivers ed course during this period.
- Pass the driving skills test to earn your Conditional License. Remember to bring your permit, parent, and the PDLA form (which proves that you’re attending school and have finished your drivers ed and practice hours).
- At age 16, you can apply for a Restricted License. With this license type, curfew restrictions will be removed if you can prove a need and get your parent’s consent.
- You can upgrade to a regular driver license with full privileges when you’re at least 16, have had a license for a year, and have had no traffic offenses or at-fault accidents. Note for 17-year-olds: You can apply for a regular driver license once you’ve had a permit for 180 days (skip steps 5 and 6). You still need to pass the vision and road tests and get parental consent, but you do not need to complete drivers ed.
HOW TO GET YOUR SOUTH CAROLINA DRIVER LICENSE (AGE 18 AND UP)
- Get your paperwork together. You’ll need to bring the following to your local DMV office: proof of your identity, U.S. citizenship, Social Security number, and South Carolina residency. Find examples of acceptable documents here.
- Pass the vision, written knowledge, and driving skills tests. There will be testing and licensing fees totaling about $14.50.
- Receive your Driver License. Congrats!
Couldn’t Find the Answer You Were Searching For?