Taking your driving test with DPS
The DPS can book up very quickly, especially during high-volume seasons like the summer and during spring break. You should schedule your driving exam as far in advance as possible.
When it asks for your Texas Driver License number, you can enter your Texas ID number or permit number. This is required in order for you to confirm your appointment.
If online scheduling is available, the office listing will include a link to “Schedule a driving test online” or “Get in line online.” If your local DPS does not offer this service, it could be a long wait, so you should call them or simply go to their office, apply for your license and they will schedule you in to come back for the driving test another day.
At the DPS, you’ll need to present your documents and come prepared to ace your vision and driving exams.
Taking your driving test with a driving school
In order to take your driving test with a driving school, there are some special steps you will need to follow:
- Get a permit at the DPS by bringing all of the necessary documents.
- Once you have your permit, contact an approved driving school on this list and ask if they offer the driving test for adults.
- If that school does offer the driving test to adults, schedule an appointment with them. The driving test can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on the school.
- On the day of your appointment, bring:
- Your permit
- Your Adult Drivers Ed certificate from Aceable
- This does not expire, but your written test score on there expires after 2 years.
- Unexpired Impact Texas Drivers certificate (expires after 90 days from the issue date)
- A vehicle with:
- Current registration sticker
- Two license plates (one on the front and one in the back)
- Proof of financial responsibility (insurance). Your name does not need to be on the insurance nor do you have to own this car.
- Note: If you do not have a car you can use, some driving schools allow you to test in their school’s cars for an added fee.
- If you pass the driving test, the driving school will give you your test results in a sealed envelope.
- After this, head to the DPS with your driving test results, permit, Aceable Adult Drivers Ed certificate, and Impact Texas Drivers certificate so that you can get a driver license!
Couldn’t Find the Answer You Were Searching For?