If you want to do your driving hours with a parent instead of at a driving school, watch the video below. We’ll guide you through the steps to make this happen.
NOTE: We now E-MAIL certificates! We no longer mail them out, so expect them in your inbox. We are in the process of updating this video.
Here are the steps in more detail:
- Make sure your parent is eligible as an instructor to teach under the parent taught drivers ed program. The state’s eligibility requirements are listed here.
- Finish your Aceable course.
- Order the Parent Taught Drivers Ed (PTDE) program guide/packet from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) online for $20 here.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org once you’ve completed the course. Include the full name and address of your parent instructor AND let us know you’ve checked their eligibility and ordered your packet from TDLR. We’ll email you a certificate that transfers you to the parent instructor for the behind-the-wheel instruction hours as well as a recommended curriculum to follow for your in-car lessons.
- Print out your certificates and use the portion labeled “For Learner License Only” to get your permit. Set the other certificate to the side for when you go to get your license. We also include a checklist that tells you your next steps as well as what to bring to the DPS. You will only follow what is on pages 3-6 which are about transferring from Instructor Taught to Parent Taught. Don’t bring any parent taught stuff with you – it’s not needed until you go get your license.
- Once you have received the PTDE packet, get started on the 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with your student. You’ll list these hours in the “In-Car Observation & Behind-the-Wheel Instruction Log“. These hours cannot be back-dated. Follow the Driving Manager PDF we emailed with your certificates as a great tool to help you complete the 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with your parent instructor.
- When you have completed the 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with your parent instructor, email Aceable again and we will email you a Parent Taught Certificate of Completion. Print it out and set it aside.
- You’ll also need to complete 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice and list these hours in the “Behind-the-Wheel Practice Log“. You can complete these 30 hours with any adult who is at least 21 years old or older, has had a valid Texas license, and at least one year of driving experience. You can use the 30 Hour Guide from the state here to help you complete these 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice. These hours can be back-dated to before switching over to parent taught.
- When you’re done with the 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice in Step #8, mark the Completion Date on the Certificate of Completion that we emailed to you in Step #7.
- The last thing you need to do before you can get your license is take the Impact Texas Teen Drivers Program. It’s a free 2-hour video course provided through the DPS. This needs to be done no more than 90 days before going to the DPS for your driving test. Click here to read more about ITTD and to register.
- Woohoo! Now go get your license.
Couldn’t Find the Answer You Were Searching For?