In Texas, adults who have never had a license before are not required to have a permit or to complete a minimum amount of driving hours in order to get a driver license.
In order to take your driving test with a driving school, there are some special steps you will need to follow:
- Get a permit at the DPS by bringing all of the necessary documents.
- Once you have your permit, contact an approved driving school on this list and ask if they offer the driving test for adults.
- If that school does offer the driving test to adults, schedule an appointment with them. The driving test can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on the school.
- On the day of your appointment, bring:
- Your permit
- Your Adult Drivers Ed certificate from Aceable
- This does not expire, but your written test score on there expires after 2 years.
- Unexpired Impact Texas Drivers certificate (expires after 90 days from the issue date)
- A vehicle with:
- Current registration sticker
- Two license plates (one on the front and one in the back)
- Proof of financial responsibility (insurance). Your name does not need to be on the insurance nor do you have to own this car.
- Note: If you do not have a car you can use, some driving schools allow you to test in their school’s cars for an added fee.
- If you pass the driving test, the driving school will give you your test results in a sealed envelope.
- After this, head to the DPS with your driving test results, permit, Aceable Adult Drivers Ed certificate, and Impact Texas Drivers certificate so that you can get a driver license!
Couldn’t Find the Answer You Were Searching For?