Getting Your Permit

What do I do if I have a permit from another state and just moved to California?

As a minor with a permit from another state, you’ll need to meet all California permit application requirements. It means you’ll have to:

  • Be at least 15.5 years old but younger than 18 years old
  • Complete the DL 44 (Driver License Application) and have your parents sign it
  • Pass the written knowledge test on Traffic Laws and Signs at the DMV
  • Present your social security number, as well as a document verifying your birthdate and legal presence
  • Pay the $35 application fee
  • Present a DL 33 Form (To Secondary Schools Other Than California Schools). You can get the DL 33 at your local DMV or by calling 1-800-777-0133. If you previously took an Aceable drivers ed course for a state other than California, we can sign your DL 33 form for you. Contact our Customer Experience Heroes and we’ll take care of it for you. We will email you back the completed form!

Couldn’t Find the Answer You Were Searching For?

Did this answer your question?