Getting Your License

What do I do if I have a license from another state and just moved to California?

As a minor with a driver license from another state, you’ll need to present your out-of-state driver license to the DMV and pass a knowledge exam as part of the application process. The behind-the-wheel test is usually waived for a person with an out-of-state driver license, but the DMV may require a behind-the-wheel driving test for any type of driver license application.

As a minor, you will also be subject to provisional restrictions per California law. For example, licensed teens in California can’t transport passengers under the age of 20 and can’t drive between 11pm and 5am. After you turn 18, these restrictions don’t apply.

Couldn’t Find the Answer You Were Searching For?

Did this answer your question?