Want to get your Indiana driver’s license? Aceable’s Indiana Permit Test Prep can help you ace the permit exam. This drivers ed course will teach you the rules of the road whenever and wherever you want. You’ll get 20 levels of interactive lessons and unlimited practice tests designed to prepare you for the Indiana written knowledge exam.
Important: This is NOT a state-approved course. Indiana drivers are not required to take drivers ed, but can take a BMV-approved course if they wish to get a permit at age 15 instead of 16. Aceable’s Indiana Permit Test Prep is a mobile study aid. It’s the perfect course for busy adults and a great study tool for teens.
HOW TO GET YOUR INDIANA DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGES 15-20)
- Decide if you want to take a state-approved drivers ed course. It’s not required, but enrolling in a certified course enables you to apply for your Learner’s Permit at age 15 instead of 16. It also allows you to get your probationary license up to six months earlier.
- Gather up your paperwork to bring to the BMV. Get your minor affidavit and Agreement of Financial Liability signed by your parent or legal guardian. You’ll also need to bring a Certificate of Driver Education Enrollment (if you’re 15 years old), proof of your identity, Social Security number, Indiana residence, and lawful presence in the U.S. Find examples of acceptable documents here. Bring a check or money order for $9.50 for the BMV fee.
- Get your Learner’s Permit by passing a vision test and knowledge test at your local BMV license branch.
- Carry your Learner’s Permit for at least 180 days while you rack up 50 behind-the-wheel practice hours with your parent or other licensed adult who is 25 or older. Make sure 10 of those hours are at night. Keep track of your practice on the Log of Supervised Driving, which must be signed by your driving supervisor if you’re under 18.
- Schedule your road test ahead of time online or over the phone. You must be at least 16 and 270 days old. Gather all the documents you’ll need to bring: your permit, signed Log of Supervised Driving, appropriate payment for the fee ($17.50), and proof of drivers ed completion (if you’re 16 years and 90 to 270 days old).
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test to get your Probationary License.
- Your Probationary License will expire 30 days after your 21st birthday. At that point, you can get your regular driver license without curfew and passenger restrictions.
HOW TO GET YOUR INDIANA DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGE 21 AND UP)
- Get your Learner’s Permit by passing a vision test and knowledge test at your local BMV license branch. You’ll need to bring proof of your identity, Social Security number, lawful presence in the U.S, and two forms of proof of your Indiana residence. Find examples of acceptable documents here. The BMV’s permit fee is $9.50.
- Carry your permit while you practice driving under the supervision of a licensed adult who is 21 or older.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test and pay the fee ($17.50) to get your driver license. Freedom!