In order to be a parent instructor, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You are the student’s parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent, or legal guardian.
- You must have a valid Texas driver license for the preceding three years.*
- You don’t have a conviction or probated sentence of criminally negligent homicide or driving while intoxicated.
- You haven’t had your driving privileges suspended, revoked, or forfeited for traffic-related violations in the past three years.
- You don’t have six or more points assigned to your driver license.
- You cannot be disabled due to mental illness.
*If the parent instructor has had a Texas license for less than the preceding three years, they are responsible for ordering a certified driver record from the state or country where they last had a license. The driver record should go back at least three years and the DPS will need to see the record when the student gets their permit.