You’ll need to order the Parent Taught Drivers Ed Program Guide Packet for $20 from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. This is a state requirement that you need to order this before beginning any coursework. It is not included in your purchase – the state does not allow us to sell the packet as part of a package.
Before ordering the packet, you need to check the state’s parent instructor eligibility requirements. You don’t want to put down an ineligible instructor because any work done under an ineligible instructor is invalid and you’d have to start the process over again.
In order to be a parent instructor, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You are the student’s parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent, or legal guardian.
- You must have a valid Texas driver license for the preceding three years.*
- You don’t have a conviction or probated sentence of criminally negligent homicide or driving while intoxicated.
- You haven’t had your driving privileges suspended, revoked, or forfeited for traffic-related violations in the past three years.
- You don’t have six or more points assigned to your driver license.
- You cannot be disabled due to mental illness.
*If the parent instructor has had a Texas license for less than the preceding three years, they are responsible for ordering a certified driver record from the state or country where they last had a license showing a driving history of at least 3 years.