Getting Your License

How do I get a hardship license?

A hardship license–also known as a minor restricted driver license (MRDL)–is a Texas driver license that you can get before you’re 16 years old or without holding your permit for a minimum of 6 months. In order to obtain a hardship license, you must show proof of why you need to drive as soon as possible.

You can apply for a hardship license if you meet all of the following:

  1. You are at least 15 years old.
  2. You have completed all 32 hours of Aceable’s Parent Taught Drivers Ed course and have received a Certificate of Completion from us.
  3. You have completed 44 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction and practice.
  4. You have a qualifying hardship.

Qualifying hardships are:

  • Economic need (Example: You need to go to work to support your family, but no one can drive you to work)
  • Death-related emergency
  • Sickness/illness/disability of family members (physician’s statement required)
  • Enrollment in a Vocational Education Program* (certification from school required)

*Vocational Education Programs include classes that require you to drive to a location as part of an internship or training program. For example, if you were in a health care internship class and needed to go to the hospital to learn from the nurses and doctors there, but you did not have anyone to drive you, you would meet this hardship.

If you are approved for a hardship license, it will expire on your next birthday.

To apply for a hardship license, bring all of the following to your DPS:

  1. All the paperwork and documents needed to meet regular licensing requirements
  2. A parent or legal guardian
  3. A completed MRDL application (also available at any driver license office)

What if I fail my driving test?

If you fail the driving test, you are given three attempts to pass within 90 days before a new $16 fee is charged. You can go back to the DPS as early as the next day to retake the exam.

How do I schedule my driving test?

We recommend that you make an appointment at your DPS to take your driving exam. Most DPS offices allow you to schedule a driving exam online, which is smart considering that some offices may be booked months in advance, especially during high-volume seasons like the summer and during spring break. You should schedule your driving exam as far in advance as possible.

Click here to view DPS offices near you and schedule a driving exam. When it asks for your Texas Driver License number, you can enter your Texas ID number or permit number. This is required in order for you to confirm your appointment.

If online scheduling is available, the office listing will include a link to “Schedule a driving test online” or “Get in line online.” If your local DPS does not offer this service, it could be a long wait, so you should call them.

In some areas of Texas, you can take the DPS driving test at a local driving school authorized to do so. You do not have to be enrolled as a student with that school to take the test. If there is a driving school in your area that offers it, we recommend taking the test with them since their schedules are not as booked as the DPS offices are. Read more about it here.

When will I get my certificates from Aceable?

Aceable will email you two DE-964 certificates that you need to print out.

You’ll receive your DE-964 Permit Certificate within one hour of completing the permit test at the end of Level 1 (first six hours of the course). You’ll present this at the DPS when you get your permit.

*Your Permit Certificate will be marked for the Concurrent Method. If you need it marked for the Block Method, please contact us when you finish all 32 hours of your course (12 levels).

You’ll receive your DE-964 License Certificate/Certificate of Completion within one hour of completing all 32 hours of your course (12 levels). You’ll present this at the DPS when you get your license.

How do I complete the required behind-the-wheel driving hours?

You can get started on the 44 required behind-the-wheel hours once you’ve received your permit at the DPS.

You must do 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with your official parent instructor (the student will observe the parent instructor for seven of the hours, while the parent instructor will observe the student for the other seven hours). You’ll list these hours in the Behind-the-Wheel Instruction Log of the PTDE packet .

You must also do 30 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with any licensed adult 21 years old or older (10 of these hours must be done at night). You’ll list these hours in the Behind-the-Wheel Practice Log of the PTDE packet.

When can I get my license?

You can get your Texas license if you meet all of the following requirements:

  1. You have held your permit for at least six months.
  2. You are at least 16 years old.
  3. You have completed all 12 levels of Aceable and have received a Certificate of Completion from us.
  4. You have completed 44 hours of behind-the wheel instruction and practice.

If you meet all of these requirements, you can schedule a driving exam at your local DPS. Please note that the DPS can book up very quickly, especially during high-volume seasons like the summer and during spring break. You should schedule your driving exam as far in advance as possible. Click here for tips on preparing for your driving exam.

What do I bring to the DPS to get my license?

You must have held your permit for at least six months and be at least 16 years old to get your Texas license. Here are the essentials to bring with you:

From Aceable:

From PTDE Packet:

  • Behind-the-Wheel Instruction – Driver Education Affidavit
  • PTDE Packet Receipt (only if you ordered the packet on or after November 14, 2016)

*Click here for help on filling out the packet forms.


  • $11 Provisional License Fee (cash, credit, check, or money order)
  • Application for Renewal/Replacement/Change of a Texas Driver License or Identification Card
  • Driving Exam (Click here for tips on preparing for your driving exam)


  • Your Parent Instructor
  • Your permit (must be held for at least 6 months)
  • ITTD program certificate of completion (expires after 90 days)
  • Proof of insurance – Your name does not need to be on the car insurance
  • Current registration and inspection sticker
  • Two license plates (front and back)
  • Verification of Enrollment (VOE): This paperwork proves that you are currently attending school and your grades and attendance are in good standing. You need to fill it out and get it signed by somebody at your school’s administrative office.* If you are not in high school but are getting your GED instead, you’ll need to bring the form to your GED program’s office and get them to sign as the administrator.
  • Some schools require a waiting period between when you request the VOE and when they’ll actually issue it to you (usually 24 hours). Therefore, it’s a good idea to request the VOE from your school ahead of time (we recommend at least 3-7 days before you head to the DPS).If you get your VOE during the last week of the school year, it is good until the start of the fall semester.

    During the summer, you can head to your school district’s administrative office and have them sign your VOE form.

    *If you are home-schooled, Write “Home School” or the name of your home school on the top left corner of the form and your county on the top right corner of the form.

    • Check the first box, indicating your student is enrolled in a home school.
    • Type or print the student’s name.
    • Type or print one parent’s name and phone number in Administrator/Designee section.
    • Both the student and the parent must sign and date the form.

Did this answer your question?