Getting Your License

How do I get my license?

You will need to meet these requirements:

  • You have had a permit for at least 6 months
  • You are at least 16 years old
  • You have finished Aceable’s 30-hour Nevada Drivers Ed course
  • You have completed 50 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with a licensed adult 21 or older (10 of which are at night)
  • You have not been in any at-fault accidents or moving violations in the past 6 months
  • You have not had any alcohol or drug convictions in the past 6 months

What do I need to bring to the DMV to get my license?

You’ll need to bring these items to the DMV to get your driver license:

  • $23.25 for the licensing fee
  • Your permit
  • Your Aceable certificate
    • Log into your Aceable account and print your certificate from there or from the email we send you.
  • Form DP-38 – Minor Affidavit and Information Sheet
    • Your parent/guardian need to be with you to sign this form.
  • Form DMV 301 – Certification of Attendance (ONLY if you did not bring this for the permit)
    • This has to be signed by a school administrator to prove that you are currently enrolled and have good attendance in school.
    • If you are homeschooled, simply bring the receipt provided by your school district when you submitted your “Notice of Intent to Homeschool” (NOI form) to them. You do not need to fill out the Certification of Attendance. (Nevada Homeschool Network)
  • Form DMV 002 – Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card
    • Your parent/guardian need to be with you to sign the Financial Responsibility section of this form.
  • Completed Beginning Driver Experience Log
  • 1 Proof of Identity
    • Original or certified copy of your state-issued birth certificate
    • Valid and unexpired United States Passport or Passport Card
    • Out-of-state instruction permit or ID card compliant with the Real ID Act of 2005
    • Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • See more examples here.
  • A vehicle with a current Certificate of Registration and insurance card

How do I schedule my driving test?

You can schedule your driving test online. You can take your driving test in any passenger car or truck that is currently registered and insured. This means you’ll need to be able to show the examiner the Certificate of Registration and a current insurance card for the car. The examiner will also perform a vehicle safety inspection. Make sure your car is in working condition!

During your test, your examiner will tell you where to go. Make sure not to make any serious traffic violations such as speeding or failing to yield. You’ll get an automatic fail! They use a point system to give you a grade.

What if I fail my driving test?

If you do fail, the examiner will explain why and show you how to retake the driving test. You might be given a 30-day time limit before you can retake your test. You do not have to pay an extra fee to retake the driving test.

Did this answer your question?