Getting Your License

How do I get my license?

You can get your Illinois license as soon as you’ve finished your Aceable course, received an email with a Certificate of Completion from the Illinois Secretary of State (ILSOS), and printed out your certificate.

At the Driver Services Facility, you’ll need to present all your identification documents and pass the vision, written, and driving tests. Click here for more information about your visit to the Driver Services Facility.

What if I want to get a permit?

If you finish the course and aren’t ready to take your driving test, you can still get a permit to practice driving. If you’re 18-20 years, you don’t need to submit a Certificate of Completion of Adult Drivers Ed (however, you’ll need the certificate when you apply for a license). Instead, you’ll present the proper identification documents, pass the vision and written tests, and pay a $20 permit fee.

Your permit will be valid for one year. You can practice with an adult who is at least 21 years old, has a license for the type of vehicle you’re driving, and has at least one year of driving experience. You may not be required to pay an additional fee if you receive your license before your permit expires.

What do I bring to the Driver Services Facility for my permit or license?

  • $5 application fee (only applying for license)
  • $20 permit fee (if applying for permit first)
  • Certificate of Completion of Adult Drivers Education
  • The following identification documents:
    • 1 Proof of Written Signature (Group A Document)
      • Examples: Cancelled Check (within 90 days prior to application), Court Order, Credit or Debit Card (major brand), Driver Education Certificate, Government ID Card, Illinois ID Card, Military Service Record, Valid U.S. or Foreign Passport, or Social Security Card
    • 1 Proof of Legal Name & Date of Birth (Group B Document)
      • Must contain full legal name and date of birth on the document
      • Examples: Adoption Records, Birth Certificate, Court Order (Change of Birth Date), Certified Grade/High School/University Transcript, Illinois ID Card, Military Service Record, Naturalization Certificate, Passport, U.S. Passport Card, or U.S. Visa
    • 1 Proof of Social Security Number (Group C Document)
      • Must also contain full legal name on the document
      • Examples: Illinois ID Card Record, Military Service Record, Social Security Card (issued by Social Security Administration), or U.S. Military ID Card
    • 2 Proofs of Residency (Group D Document)
      • Any documents in groups A, B, or C that contain the full residence address may be used
      • Examples: Affidavit- Certificate of Residency (available only at a Driver Services Facility), Utility Bill, Pay Stub or Electronic Deposit Receipt, Bank Statement or Cancelled Check (dated within 90 days prior to application), Certified Grade/High School/College/University Transcript, Credit Report (issued by Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion and dated within 12 months of the application), Deed/Title, Mortgage, Rental/Lease Agreement, or Homeowner’s or Renter’s Insurance Policy


How do I schedule my driving test?

Unfortunately, the state of Illinois only allows you to schedule a driving test online if you are trying to get a CDL (commercial driver license). Our course is not approved for CDL licenses. They allow you to come in for the driving test on a walk-in basis instead.

Use this page to look up the nearest Driver Services Facility.

What if I fail my driving test?

If you fail your IL driving test, you can take it again in 7 days. You can take the Driving Exam up to three times in a one year period before you have to extend your permit. The examiner will tell you why you failed, so remember what they say so you can practice more on that before trying again.

Did this answer your question?