Want to get your North Carolina driver’s license? Aceable’s North Carolina Permit Test Prep can help you ace the permit exam. This drivers ed course will teach you the rules of the road whenever and wherever you want. You’ll get 20 levels of interactive lessons and unlimited practice tests designed to prepare you for the North Carolina written knowledge exam.
Important: This is NOT a state-approved course and will not fulfill the drivers ed requirement for North Carolinians under age 18. Aceable’s North Carolina Permit Test Prep is a mobile study aid. It’s the perfect course for busy adults and a great study tool for teens.
HOW TO GET YOUR NORTH CAROLINA DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGES 15-17)
- Enroll in a state-approved drivers ed course. When you complete it, you’ll get a Driving Education Certificate.
- Gather up your paperwork to bring to the DMV office. You’ll need to bring the following: Driving Eligibility Certificate (proof of school attendance), Driver Education Certificate, two documents proving your identity, and your Social Security card. Find examples of acceptable documents here. Bring a check, cash, or money order for $15 for the DMV fee.
- Get your Limited Learner Permit by passing a vision test and knowledge test at your local DMV office.
- Carry your Limited Learner’s Permit for at least a year while you rack up 60 behind-the-wheel practice hours with your parent or other approved adult who has been licensed for at least five years. Make sure 10 of those hours are at night. Keep track of your practice on the Driving Log (DL-4A), which must be signed by your driving supervisor. A maximum of 10 hours per week will count towards the requirement.
- Schedule your road test ahead of time online or over the phone. You must be at least 16 years old. Gather all the documents you’ll need to bring: your permit, completed Driving Log (DL-4A), and proof of liability insurance coverage.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test to get your Limited Provisional License. If you keep it for at least six months without being convicted of a moving violation or seat belt/mobile phone infraction, you can upgrade to a Full Provisional License with fewer restrictions.
HOW TO GET YOUR NORTH CAROLINA DRIVER’S LICENSE (AGE 18 AND UP)
- Get your paperwork together. You’ll need to bring these things to the DMV: proof of your identity, Social Security number, lawful presence in the U.S, liability insurance, and North Carolina residency. Find examples of acceptable documents here.
- Visit your Driver License Office to take the vision, knowledge, and driving skills tests. You’ll need to pass all three to get your driver license. Aced them? You’re done! Alternatively, you may also choose to get your Learner Permit ($15 DMV fee) first to practice supervised driving before taking the driving skills test. Proceed to steps 3 and 4 if you choose the Permit route.
- Carry your permit while you practice driving under the supervision of a licensed adult.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test to get your driver license. Freedom!