Want to get your New Jersey driver license? Aceable’s New Jersey Permit Test Prep can help you ace the permit exam. This drivers ed course will teach you the rules of the road whenever and wherever you want. You’ll get 20 levels of interactive lessons and unlimited practice tests designed to prepare you for the New Jersey written knowledge exam.
Important: Drivers ed is NOT a requirement for getting a New Jersey license. Applicants who are 16 years old must take an approved behind-the-wheel driver training course. Aceable’s New Jersey Permit Test Prep is a mobile study aid. It’s the perfect course for busy adults and a great study tool for teens.
HOW TO GET YOUR NEW JERSEY DRIVER LICENSE (AGES 16-21)
- First, determine which type of permit you will apply for. If you’re 16 years old, you can get a Student Learner’s Permit as long as you have an authorized driving instructor. The permit will be validated after you have completed the training. If you’re 17 or older, you can just apply for an Examination Permit. Both have the same testing and identification requirements.
- Head to your local MVC Agency that offers Driver Testing Services. Bring a primary form of ID, letter of consent signed by your parent or guardian (if you’re under 18), permit application, and payment for the $10 fee. Find examples of appropriate documents here. If you’re 16, you’ll also need to bring proof of enrollment in an approved behind-the-wheel driver training course and be accompanied by your licensed instructor.
- Pass the vision test and score at least 80% on a 50-question knowledge test.
- Carry your permit for 6 months while you get behind-the-wheel practice with your parent or other licensed adult.
- Once you’re 17 and have kept your permit for at least 6 months, you may take your driving skills test to get a Probationary License. You must keep this license for a year.
- When you’re at least 18 and have kept your Probationary License for a year, you’re eligible to get a regular driver license with full privileges. Congrats!
HOW TO GET YOUR NEW JERSEY DRIVER LICENSE (AGE 21 AND UP)
- Head to your local MVC Agency that offers Driver Testing Services. Bring a 1 primary and 1 secondary form of ID, permit application, proof of your address, and payment for the fee. Find examples of acceptable documents here.
- Take a vision test and written knowledge test to get your Examination Permit. There will be a $10 fee.
- Keep your permit for at least 3 months while you practice driving under the supervision of a licensed adult.
- Pass the MVC’s road test to get your Probationary License.
- One year later, you can switch to a regular driver license. Congrats!