You can get your Texas license if you meet all of the following requirements:
- You are at least 16 years old.
- You have held your Texas permit for at least six months.
- You have completed all 13 levels of Aceable and have received a Certificate of Completion from us.
- You have completed 44 hours of behind-the wheel instruction and practice.
- 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction are done with a professional driving school
- 30 hours (10 of which are at night) of behind-the-wheel practice are done with any licensed adult 21 years old or older
If you meet all of these requirements, you can schedule a driving exam at your local DPS. Please note that the DPS can book up very quickly, especially during high-volume seasons like the summer and during spring break. You should schedule your driving exam as far in advance as possible. For tips on preparing for your driving exam, click here.
Once you have your driving exam scheduled, don’t forget to complete the Impact Texas Teen Driver (ITTD) program. You are required by the state to complete the ITTD no more than 90 days before your scheduled driving exam. To learn more about ITTD, click here.
When you go to the DPS, don’t forget to bring all your paperwork and documents with you. Click here to see what you need to bring with you on that day.