Want to get your Colorado driver license? Aceable’s Colorado Permit Test Prep can help you ace the permit exam. This drivers ed course will teach you the rules of the road whenever and wherever you want. You’ll get 20 levels of interactive lessons and unlimited practice tests designed to prepare you for the Colorado written knowledge exam.
Important: This is NOT a state-approved course. Colorado license applicants are not required to take drivers ed unless they want to get an Instruction Permit at the age of 15. Aceable’s Colorado Permit Test Prep serves as a mobile study aid. It’s the perfect course for busy adults and a great study tool for teens.
HOW TO GET YOUR COLORADO DRIVER LICENSE (AGES 15-20)
- If you’re 15 years old, you will need to complete a state-approved drivers ed course. You can take either a 30-hour drivers ed course OR, if you’re at least 15 and a half, a 4-hour driver awareness class.
- Gather up your paperwork for the DMV. Get your consent form (Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship) signed by your parent or guardian. You’ll also need to bring certified documents proving your identity, proof of your Social Security number, drivers ed completion certificate (if you’re 15), and proof of your Colorado address. Find examples of acceptable documents here. Bring a check, cash, or a credit card for the DMV permit fee ($16.80).
- Get your Instruction Permit by passing a vision test and knowledge test at your local DMV office.
- If you’re younger than 16 and a half, you will need to get 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training from a driving instructor. If you can prove that you live more than 30 miles away from a certified driving school, you can do 12 hours of supervised driving in addition to the normal requirements.
- Carry your Instruction Permit for at least a year while you rack up 50 behind-the-wheel practice hours with your parent or other licensed adult who is 21 or older. Make sure 10 of those hours are at night. If you’re between the ages of 18 and 21, there is no year-long waiting period. You can take the road test as soon as you’re ready.
- Schedule your road test ahead of time. Gather all the documents you’ll need to bring: your valid permit, completed and signed drive time log, proof of training with a driving instructor (if applicable), the parent or guardian certification form, proof of your Social Security number and Colorado residency, payment for the fee, and a vehicle with valid registration and insurance.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test to get your Minor License. This allows you to drive without supervision.
- Keep your Minor License until you turn 21 years old. At this point, bring your Minor License and ID documents to any DMV office to upgrade to a regular driver license. Curfews and passenger restrictions will be lifted. Congrats!
HOW TO GET YOUR COLORADO DRIVER LICENSE (AGES 21 AND UP)
- Get your Instruction Permit by passing a vision test and knowledge test at your local DMV office. You’ll need to bring proof of your identity, Social Security number, and current Colorado address. Find examples of acceptable documents here.
- Carry your permit while you practice driving under the supervision of a licensed adult.
- Pass the behind-the-wheel driving test and pay the $25 DMV fee to get your driver license. Freedom!