First, you need to make sure you have an eligible parent instructor to do parent taught drivers ed. If you do not have an eligible instructor, you cannot do the parent taught drivers ed program.
If you have an eligible instructor, contact our Customer Experience Heroes to get your course switched over.
In order to be a parent instructor, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You are the student’s parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent, or legal guardian.
- You must have a valid Texas driver license for the preceding three years.*
- You don’t have a conviction or probated sentence of criminally negligent homicide or driving while intoxicated.
- You haven’t had your driving privileges suspended, revoked, or forfeited for traffic-related violations in the past three years.
- You don’t have six or more points assigned to your driver license.
- You cannot be disabled due to mental illness.
*If the parent instructor has had a Texas license for less than the preceding three years, they are responsible for ordering a certified driver record from the state or country where they last had a license showing a driving history of at least 3 years.