Getting Your Permit

How do I get my permit with Aceable?

You need to complete all 10 levels of your course before you’re eligible to get your permit.

We’ll mail you the certificate you’ll need to get your permit and start your behind-the-wheel training once you’ve completed your Aceable course.

What do I need to bring to the DMV to get my permit?

You can get a permit as soon as you are 15 1/2 years old. You’ll need to bring: 

  • An original and completed DL 44 (Driver License Application) with your Parents’ Or Guardians’ Signatures (if you are older than 18, you do not need their signature). You can get the DL 44 at your Local DMV Office or have it mailed to you by calling 1-800-777-0133.
  • Your social security number (you aren’t required to bring your social security card but you will need to know your social security number)
  • An original or certified copy of a document verifying your birth date and legal presence (US birth certificate, US passport, permanent or temporary resident card, etc.). Click Here for a list of acceptable documents.
  • Two (2) proofs of California residency (rental or lease agreement, deed or title to residential property, mortgage bill, utility bills, school documents, medical documents, employment documents, etc.). Click Here for a full list of acceptable documents. The address on the residency documents must match the residency address on the DL-44 application. Photocopies are acceptable.
    • Parents, legal guardians, or children can use a birth certificate and spouses or domestic partners can use a marriage license or domestic partner registration certificate to trace their relationship to the individual named in the two acceptable residency documents.
  • $34 application fee. This fee is good for three exams within the 12-month period and pays for both your permit and driver license. If you don’t obtain your license within the 12-month period you must go through the application process again.
  • Certificate of Completion of Driver Education (under 18 ONLY; we mail this to you when you complete your Aceable course)

When do my 6 months start?

The six-month permit period starts on the day that you receive your permit at the DMV. When you have your permit, you are only allowed to drive if there is a licensed adult 25 years old or older with you in the car. There are no restrictions on what hours you may drive during the day or night, but you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the late hours of the night.

When can I start driving with someone?

Once you have your permit, you can’t actually drive with your parents or any licensed adult 25 or older until you complete one 2-hour lesson with a professional instructor and they sign your permit. When you get your permit signed by the instructor, you can start driving with any licensed adult 25 or older.

Can I drive alone with a permit?

No. Absolutely not! When you have your permit, you are only allowed to drive if there is a licensed adult 25 years old or older with you in the car. There are no restrictions on what hours you may drive during the day or night, but you must be accompanied by a parent or guardian during the late hours of the night.

What do I do if I have a permit from another state and just moved to California?

As a minor with a permit from another state, you’ll need to meet all California permit application requirements. It means you’ll have to:

  • Be at least 15.5 years old but younger than 18 years old
  • Complete the DL 44 (Driver License Application) and have your parents sign it
  • Pass the written knowledge test on Traffic Laws and Signs at the DMV
  • Present your social security number, as well as a document verifying your birthdate and legal presence
  • Pay the $34 application fee

Present a DL 33 Form (To Secondary Schools Other Than California Schools). You can get the DL 33 at your local DMV or by calling 1-800-777-0133. Send the DL 33 to your out-of-state drivers ed school and ask them to complete and return it to you.

How do I get a junior permit/license?

If you are over 14 and under 18, you may apply for a Junior Permit (also known as a Junior License) if one of the following circumstances exists:

  • If a family member who usually drives you is ill and taking a bus (or other transportation) isn’t an option. You’ll need your application signed by your family member’s doctor, stating what the illness is and approximately when the family member is likely to recover and be able to drive again.
  • If getting to school and school activities via bus or other means is inadequate. You’ll need your school principal to sign your application, verifying the facts. You will only be able to drive from your home to school and back.
  • If you work and getting to and from work via bus is inadequate, AND your income is essential in the support of your family. Your employer will have to sign your application and verify the distance between your home and work, and the distance from your employment to public transportation.
  • If you work for your family in a family business enterprise and it’s essential that you drive, then you’ll need your parents to write and sign a statement saying this on your application.

It’s not easy getting approval from the DMV for a Junior Permit/License, as they will want you to explain why carpools, taxis, bicycles, or walking won’t work for you.

Within six months of being issued a Junior Permit, you will also have to show that you have completed your drivers education (online with Aceable) and your behind-the-wheel driver’s training (the six hours of professional instruction) or your Junior Permit will be cancelled.

Your Junior Permit will be valid for six months, or until it’s no longer necessary for you to drive a vehicle. If you move to another address, your Junior Permit may no longer be valid, so check on this. If you’ve violated any of the provisions, then your Junior Permit will be cancelled or revoked.

The application for a Junior Permit (Form DL 120) can be filled out online and printed before you take it in person to a DMV office. Click here for the application.

Did this answer your question?